This is an ongoing list. As a go through innovation management research I always stumble upon a new definition, some of them very complete others lack of detail and a few goes deeper on a industry or market. If you have another definition with their reference please let me know so I can complete the list.
For quality purposes all the definitions are linked to a book, journal or publication.
- “Innovation is the implementation of creative ideas into some new device or process” (Schilling, 2008).
- “Social innovation refers to innovative activities and services that are motivated by the goal of meeting a social need and that are predominantly diffused through organizations whose primary purposes are social (Mulgan 2006).
- “An innovation is the implementation of a new or significantly improved product (good or service), or process, a new marketing method, or a new organisational method in business practices, workplace organisation or external relations” (OECD, 2005).
- “…the successful conversion of new concepts and knowledge into new products, services, or processes that deliver new customer value in the marketplace”. (American Society for Quality- ASQ)
- American Society for Quality- ASQ: http://asq.org/learn-about-quality/innovation/
- OECD, 2005, “The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities: Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Innovation Data: Oslo Manual, Third Edition” prepared by the Working Party of National Experts on Scientific and Technology Indicators, OECD, Paris, para. 146.
- Mulgan, Geoff. 2006. ‘The Process of Social Innovation’, Innovations, Spring 2006, pp. 145-162.
- Schilling, Melissa A. (2008). Strategic Management of Technological Innovation. 2e Mc Graw Hill, United States.